Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Wired Magazine sucks ass

Wired Magazine just plain sucks now and that’s really sad. I’ve been a subscriber for a very long time (since its 2nd or 3rd year) and I have to say that it used to be my favorite way to gain new knowledge. It used to have amazing articles, and really cool insight into new trends and gear. It used to have really cool graphics and was just plain cool from cover to cover. I still have all of my old issues because it was so ahead of its time I couldn’t wait until the future came so I could look back and see how prophetic it was. I would read an issue and end up with 5 new ideas in my head, 5 new companies to check out and a magazine full of dog eared pages.

That was until about 2 years ago. I’m not sure when it exactly happened. I suppose I could research the editors and staff and probably pin point it but at some point the magazine began to get really dumbed down. It was hard to see in the articles and it still kind of is. That’s because the writers of the articles are all contracted out. But it was and is really easy to see in the ancillary pieces in the magazine. They are literally pointless. They tell me nothing at all. I am insulted every time I read one. I feel ripped off, like my time was wasted.

The magazine now is simply worthless and I will not renew my subscription. In fact, I refuse to read any new issues that come until it runs out. They will go strait into the trash like my junk mail. The magazine that was the hippest thing there was for people like me has now become a “technology for dummies” guide for parents to read so they can see what their kids are up to (even though it is hopelessly out of date in some ways). It has become just crap.

I’m really upset about this simply because now I have to find my info elsewhere. I have to take the time to find a new source and that’s simply not cool at all. There is enough to deal with in life to have to find something as good as Wired once was for me. Fuckers had to sell out to the mass market like everyone else..

No comments: