Saturday, September 03, 2005

What is a "Red Stater"?

I use the term "red staters" a bunch and I want to be clear on what I mean by it. I started using the term after the last election and I was using it to refer to the majority of people that elected GWB to his second term.

I want to be clear that I'm not a real partisan person. Politically I have views that are liberal, conservative and often times way in the middle. I am all for the right to bear arms, I'm all for the right of gay marriage, I'm for abortion rights, I'm way against unions, I want a more focused government (and really could care less if that meant large or small), I am against organized religion (and how it has invaded politics), I am for the death penalty, I hate the tax cut but I love the tax gifts I get for dividends and other investments.

I short, I'm all over the place. I really am only a registered Democrat because I live in Philadelphia where my vote means something. If I had my way, I would find another party, but I'm smart enough to know that the green party and the like have (and will have) no political clout for a very long time (if ever).

So, I don't hate republicans at all. In fact, I have quite a few Republican friends and some relatives. And I don't call all republicans Red Staters.

The people I call Red Staters are the sheep. These are the people who are easily led and very close minded. These are the religious zealots and the people who shoot to kill abortionists. These are the people for the war that still believe that Saddam had something to do with 9/11. These are the people who think drilling for oil in Alaska is a good thing. These are the racist people and the neo-Nazi skinhead morons.

I haven’t come up with a better way to describe these people so I’ve summed them all up with the term “Red Stater”. Until I find something better, this is it, so now you know..

No comments: