Saturday, October 01, 2005

I'm not the only one!

My friends think I'm crazy since I've been preaching that we should have a metric time system and a metric calendar. The current system of the calendar is simply silly to me. It was originally invented back when we thought the earth revolved around the sun and then later adapted in the roman days into what we have now. Some months simply added and named for the Ceasers at the time (It's way more complex, but I'm in a hurry this morning).

Anyway, I can't stand our calendar. To me, the system is completly orthangonal to the way I think (and all apparent logic). We have leap years and we have months that don't always have the same number of days each year. We have months that all have different numbers of days. We have days that never seem to line up so from year to year we have holidays that occur seemingly without precision (Second Thursday of the Month.. come on!)

I want a metric calendar with some fixed number of metric days each month. Put the main holiday on day one of every month and a sub holiday in the middle of the month on some day. Standardize the clocks across all the time zones and then we finally have a logical, orderly way to tell time, communicate globally, and more importantly, we don't have to replace our calendars every year. Think of the beauty of it!

So, anyway, as I was saying, I can sit at a party and start talking about this and by magic I can make everyone dissapear (or fall asleep). I can go on for hours about this (it's more complex than I'm letting you know right now.. I'm actually working on a position paper on it, but who knows when it will ever be done (I have 1 paragraph so far)). Ahh, so as I was saying, I'm not the only one.. See here for some like minded logical peoples opionion!

and adapted back when they thought the earth revol

No comments: