Friday, October 21, 2005

Ricky wasn't going to do it.

Yesterday I got a call from a friend at like 5pm telling me to turn on the news. Rick Mariano was going to jump off of city hall. That was exciting news and pretty incredible. Of course I was totally into it.

Today after reading the news I'm convinced that the guy had no intention of suicide. Usually I'm skeptical of the news reports since politicians have such great spin doctors but in this case I think it was the local TV news weenies who just went crazy. They had no real news other than what they heard secondhand. They just made shit up.

This guy was despondent and decided to go to the observation tower to look out on the city he served. Maybe he was just saying goodbye to public service. Who knows. But this tower is closed in and if he were planning on jumping, there were so many other ways to do it.

Now they say they feared he had a gun. Come on. So what. If he were going to off himself with the gun, why not do it Bud Dwyer style? No way, don't buy it. The local TV geeks just blew the story and we all know it. Losers.

(I'm sorry to you out of towners who have no idea what I'm talking about there. Normally I would add links to reference names and events so you can play along, but I have to get started on work. Google should work for you.. )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know of the story you're posting about, but our local news coverage seems just as bad a lot of the time.

Even when they make a serious mistake they seldom recall anything.

You can always tell when it's something wrongly reported too, because around here they tell the same story at least 3 nights in a row. If you don't see it again the next night, or receive an update chances are someone screwed up.

I guess that's why those individuals do the local news, and not national.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh today while watching the evening news. They were doing a report on text messaging and how it has been known to cause stress to the thumb. During the whole snippet the anchor woman repeatedly reffered to the term ergonomics as economics!

I thought of your post as I was calling her a moron! LOL

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the moron, the typo was supposed to be referred not reffered! DUH!

Unknown said...

I'm the king of typos so don't worry. Yea local news is horribly pathetic in so many ways. I stopped watching it loooong ago..