Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Penguin life is Fun?

I've been watching a lot of Tivoless tv lately since my girlfriend has been bedridden with a back injury. The key thing is that I've been forced to watch a lot of commercials. What a drag it's been. First off, they need more variety. In little over a week of commercial tv, I've been able to memorize about 75% of them. This isn't cool at all. Each time I see a commercial, it would be cool to see something new. We've now gotten to the point where we mute them when they come on. What makes it interesting is that I can recite thier audio track. Sad..

Anyway, one of the commercials is for the DVD version of "March of the Penguins". I think this was a really great movie and I learned a lot about what the life of the Emporor Penguin is like. The strange thing is that they are trying to position the movie as a feel good Christmas movie and I really don't know why at all. The penguin life is really, really hard as those of you who have seen the film can attest to. The part that is just totally insulting to me (and should be to people who haven't seen the film and buy it becasue of the ad) is that they end the spot with a line like "See how fun it is to be a penguin!".. huh? Did the writer of this spot even see the film? Is huddling together in a mass pile of penguins for 2 months in a blizzard in Antartica with no food fun? Is spending a whole year to have a child and then loosing it because the egg slipped out of your grasp for 30 seconds fun? Huh? I just don't get it.

Its stuff like that that reinforces my hatred for the Hollywood marketing machine. What a bunch of pathetic fucks. Nobody complains though. Some people, like me, see and buy fewer movies than we normally would, but nobody notices. Ah well, what can one person do?

No comments: