Thursday, July 27, 2006

As Philadelphia wonders why we have a violence problem...

I submit to you this article as piece of evidence that the problem may in fact be more serious than we think.

Let me explain. Allegidly this man ran out of his house and grabbed a 3 year old by the throught after having water sprayed accidentally on his car. He then went back into the house and came out with an unlicienced firearm which he threatened the childs mother with. The police "charged him with aggravated assault, firearms violations, possession of an instrument of crime, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person."

You'd think Bradley might have been in some trouble of his own, but, on Tuesday, Common Pleas Judge John O'Grady threw out charges of weapons violations and aggravated assault against a toddler, and reduced the remaining charges Bradley faced to misdemeanors.

Now, I wonder what happened here. Hard to say w/o being in on the trial. Could it have been an incompetant DA? I was on a jury once and the DA was fresh out of school and clueless so that is a possibility. Or was the judge influenced in some way? (The man charged was in law enforcement as a Philadelphia School District Cop). Maybe he was innocent.. which I really can't say since I wasn't there.

But something is wrong here and I can't figure out what it is.. can you all help?

No comments: