Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It was such a good idea

So I hate going to the Movie Theater. In a number of posts I've complained about all kinds of things related to the experience. A few years ago a movie theater called The Bridge opened up at Penn. The concept was simple: charge more money for a ticket and the clientel will be more genteel. Obviously it didn't work. This isn't an isolated case. I've been there a number of times and every time I've been there, the place was overrun with loud, toublemaking teenagers. One time I almost got beat up by one for apparently being "a bitch".

Even at the Ritz, which used to be my last bastion of hope for a nice peaceful movie expierence, I'm beginning to see more and more people being rude and noisy. At Brokeback the other night, a woman behind us not only had her cellphone ring during the film, but ANSWERED IT AND HAD A CONVERSATION!

If a company would start a theater here that would follow these few simple guidelines, they would make a killing:

1) block all cellphone signals in all the theaters
2) add an usher into each theater who would police behavior and monitor quality of the projection/sound
3) no more general admission seating. Number the seats and allow advance sales for them

I mean the industry complains that sales are down. Well, in addition to people not going becasue of terrible quality films, maybe the experience is part of it as well.

No comments: