Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Diebold is an Evil company

A while ago I talked about how Diebold virtually gift wrapped the Ohio election for GWB last year. Diebold is a company more well known for their ATM systems (I can't for the life of me say ATM Machine since it is redundant) but also makes voting machines. There is a piece in ARS about how Diebold is trying to subvert the amazing (read : I wish we had it here) legislation for electronic voting machine transparency in N. Carolina. Now I don't know the details of the case but it seems like Diebold is up to their old tricks of making the voting process a black box that only they control.

I have argued this point before. There is absolutely no reason for there not to be an open source voting system that is universally accepted by the government. Let Diebold build the machine, but let the software be transparent and of course make all persons votes be verifiable by the voters!

No comments: