Friday, March 03, 2006

The DPA - Donate Today!

I only have 40-50 readers but that's enough to do some good. I urge you each to donate at least $10 to the Drug Policy Alliance. This is a group which has this simple stated goal :

The Alliance is the nation's leading organization working to end the war on drugs. We envision new drug policies based on science, compassion, health and human rights and a just society in which the fears, prejudices and punitive prohibitions of today are no more

You and I know that the "War on Drugs" has failed. Anyone can see that the program does little or no good and that it is a complete waste of money that does nothing to help abusers of drugs. Obviously I reccomend the movie "Traffic" to you, but more importantly I ask you to think about reading the book "Smoke and Mirrors" by Dan Baum. This book, published 10 years ago, gives us a history of the war and paints a pretty convinving picture that the war is a disaster.

But don't take his word on it. Ask Walter Cronkite what he thinks.

It's really hard to make change happen. Fortunately the DPA exists to help the process along. I'm giving $50 and you should give a little too. Click here to donate.

Oh.. also I just found on the DPA blog this post. Apparently Bill O'Reilly doesn't agree with Walter.

No comments: