Thursday, March 02, 2006

Doh!

In a survey, apparently Americans know more about The Simpsons than the Constitution.

About 1 in 4 Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half of Americans can name at least two members of the fictional cartoon family, according to a survey.

I would have gotten at least 3 of our freedoms correct, but I would have been able to name all of the Simpsons so I think I would have failed as well. Though I found stuff like the following bit amazing :

It also found people misidentified First Amendment rights. About 1 in 5 people thought the right to own a pet was protected, and 38% said they believed the right against self-incrimination -- commonly known as "Taking the Fifth" -- was a First Amendment right, the survey found.

Heh.. Funny stuff indeed.

No comments: